Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Spring Photography


For the last few days, we have witnessed an Eastern Towhee visiting our backyard to feast on the seeds that fell from our bird feeders. Yesterday, I set up my blind in the backyard and waited for the towhee to make an appearance. Of course, it never showed up. Instead, I saw plenty of robins foraging through the grass. I also photographed the juncos that are still around. As a wildlife photographer, I have to act fast. So, when a fox squirrel showed up, standing upright at the edge of our hillside I clicked the shutter until it disappeared. Squirrels can be very annoying when they raid our feeders (and our pockets) since we have to fill the feeders three times a day when they're in high form. They also destroy (and sometimes abscond with) our feeders. One recently broke a metal perch off a feeder. But, when it comes to modeling for the camera, they are second to none. Who could possibly be mad at such a cute photo subject?

1 comment:

Annette said...

I hope you manage to photograph your Towhee. I've had one show up at my feeder twice in the last five or six years. It's there and then it's gone and I don't see it again. As if he's traveling and just passing through. Maybe yours will stick around long enough to have his picture taken.