Sunday, September 09, 2007

Late Summer Rambling


My last trip to Beechwood was not very fruitful. My best photo was that of the lone monarch I saw there. We have more of them at home. I did see, but not photograph, a warbler, a wren and some cedar waxwings. Butterflies were scarce that day, but so it goes.
Our own little butterfly garden is a hotbed of activity. We're having a good crop of monarch larvae this summer and also milkweed moths and bugs. Amazing that a poisonous plant such as milkweed (we have butterfly weeds and milkweed) can support so much wildlife. We're also seeing bumble bees and honey bees, all kinds of butterflies but not as many swallowtails as in the past.
I'm seeing and hearing more birds in our yard, including a pileated woodpecker. The male hummingbirds appear to have departed, yet the young ones are still around fighting over the nectar. They're also visiting our flowers, particularly the zinnias. I'll definitely plant those again next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Milkweed has the most amazing fragrance. Too bad we can't capture fragrance somehow. I don't mean with perfume or scratch-and-sniff cards, but something akin to photography. Future technology to the rescue?

I had no idea hummingbirds would go for zinnias.

Thanks for an interesting post.