Friday, July 17, 2009

Lost Memories

A depressing aspect of my recent trip to Germany was that my mother didn't recognize me. She seemed convinced that I had a traveling companion, a woman I met on the plane. I was never sure whether she was talking to me or my "companion." She also didn't recognize my friends who came to pick me up.
She is in the early stages of dementia and changes in her memory came on so gradually that no one noticed at first - until I showed up. I also learned that she doesn't drink much and that dehydration can cause dementia. When her doctor returned from vacation I made an appointment for her. Needless to say, her reply was something like, "I'm old. Whatever do I need a doctor for?" Did I mention that she is very, very stubborn?
But I was undeterred and my brother and I took her to the doctor. Now she'll have to see a neurologist in a few weeks (it's vacation time). I'm glad I got the ball rolling after observing my mother all day long and am anxious to hear what the neurologist will find out.

No comments: