Wednesday, August 05, 2009

In the Marsh


Last Saturday, my husband and I headed to Independence Marsh. Fog hung low over the valley when we arrived, but it soon lifted and gave way to warm sunrays. Bullfrogs honked from the ponds but we never saw one. A mockingbird eyed us suspiciously, with food for its chicks in its beak. While I finally got a mockingbird photo (on a powerline, unfortunately), our main goal was seeing wildflowers. A marsh is an awesome place to see summer wildflowers. We saw Joe-pye-weed, teasel, field thistle, green-headed coneflower, orange and yellow jewelweed, blue vervain, and countless others. Two hummingbird moths were fighting over a flower and a hawk flew over the lake. On the way back I flushed out a blue heron which I had not seen (otherwise I would have stalked him to get his photo). The hours flew by until the heat forced us to return home. It was a beautiful morning on the marsh.

No comments: