Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Anniversary

Today is our 17th anniversary. That sounds like a long time, but it doesn't feel like it. While my husband and I live mostly quiet lives, we have dealt with unemployment, illnesses and surgeries, multiple moves (including one overseas to a city I had never even seen), the purchase of our home, and evolving hobbies. Luckily, we share the same interest in nature and often go on hikes that always end up being longer than we had planned. That's when I get cranky!
For me, nature has a way of healing when my mind is troubled. There is always something new--new wildflowers spring up while others wilt away, birds migrate and return, leafs turn green and then fiery red before they disappear for another winter. Lately, I have been pre-occupied with the death of an old friend. But watching nature's beauty in the woods and in our backyard has calmed me. It is hard to remain sad when I watch a goldfinch fledgling eating its first meal alone or observe the chickadees that have returned to our feeders.

No comments: