Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bird Talk

Last night, I gave the first public talk in my life. I'm currently exhibiting my photos at our new library in Robinson Township and the librarian asked me if I wanted to give a talk. I agreed since it was a good learning experience for me. My topic was birding and how to attract birds to your yard. The audience was small but very interested. My husband came along and together, we answered all questions that came up. It turned out that the librarian herself is an avid bird-watcher and has already acquired quite a few bird books. When I prepared for the talk, I made a list of all the birds we have sighted in or from our backyard and I came up with 35 species. While I haven't been able to photograph all these species, it's quite an impressive number. I had great fun doing the talk and it gave me confidence on doing similar sessions in the future. The interactive talk was a lot less intimidating than a formal speech would have been. I hope that the attendants came away from the session with an enthusiasm to learn more about birds and, most importantly, to enjoy themselves.

2 comments:

night sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great! Developing a specialty within photography is obviously providing you with new opportunities - and interesting experiences.

I wish you well!