Monday, March 31, 2008

At the Rookery


Yesterday morning, we decided to check out the Great Blue Heron rookery on Big Sewickley Creek Road. Naturally, we drove around for quite a while until we found it. And then we had to turn around another couple times to park our car. I set up my tripod and camera on the edge of the road, right by the guard rail. It was a bit nerve-wrecking to think about all the cars that passed behind me. Most of them slowed down, however, to see what in the world we were looking at. We attracted quite a following. Seeing all the nests perched on tree tops was quite impressive. We never counted them, but there must have been nearly 20 of them. The photo shows a heron adding a stick to an already huge nest. But then, they are huge birds. Every once in a while, a fight erupted between two herons over whatever it is herons fight about--territory probably. Occasionally, one bird would fly off to catch some food and I had my camera ready. However, the rookery was only "relatively" close by. Even with a 400mm lens it was hard to focus on something that only filled part of the frame. In the end we left vowing to come back when the creek is stocked with fish. Spring birding has finally begun.

1 comment:

Annette said...

I'm glad you got some shots of herons. I still haven't seen our regular resident Blue around here yet.

My hubby recently built a box for Wood Ducks and set it up down on our creek. He also managed to fall INTO the creek, but that's another story.

I'll let you know if we get any woodies accepting our offer of free room and board. Somehow, I suspect it's more likely a family of squirrels will move in.