Thursday, March 27, 2008

Gone birding


This week, my husband had to take some old vacation days before he lost them. So on Tuesday morning, we went to North Park to do some birding and photography. Unfortunately, there weren't many birds around. We had better luck when the lake was frozen. The gulls were too far out in the lake to get a good picture of. At last, we gave up and went to our favorite place, the Shaler shelter, where there is a little wetland area. I managed to get some great photos of--Canada Geese. Not exactly a rare bird around here, but it was the first time I took really good photos of one. For some reason, they're hard to focus on. Not this time, even though my approach through dried reeds sounded more like small explosions. The two birds were safe across the little creek and didn't seem to mind posing for me. Other than that, we saw three mallards and a red-winged blackbird in the distance. I can't wait to see some migrants passing through.

No comments: