Saturday, March 21, 2009

History Lesson

The other day, I was on assignment to the Soldiers & Sailors Hall. To get an overview of the museum, I received a tour by the curator. He told me that they wanted their showcases to tell the human story behind the historic events. Apparently, it works because I was compelled to talk when we came to the Berlin Wall exhibit. I was shocked when my guide told me that kids nowadays ask him, "What's the Berlin Wall?" It seemed so much a part of my younger life that I never expected it to fall. I told my guide that back in the early Eighties, I had been to the wall on the West Berlin side and two months later I saw the Brandenburg Gate from the East Berlin side. Life in a divided country was certainly different than what Americans are used to. For example, there were only three corridors to drive to West Berlin. We were even told what reading material we could take along on the bus so we wouldn't get into trouble. Of course, I didn't need any reading material to go to West Berlin because I didn't go there to read. Why would I when the pubs are open all night? Nowadays, I wouldn't even make it till 11 o'clock, but that's a different story.

No comments: