Monday, May 16, 2011

Back from the Pennwriters Conference

Another fabulous Pennwriters conference ended yesterday. The food was great, the keynote speakers were awesome and the workshops covered everything I wanted to hear. The best part, though, was networking with other writers and the wonderful support we all give and receive in this organization.
Since I only attend the conference when it is held in Pittsburgh, this was my fourth conference. Every time, I have submitted a nonfiction essay in the "In Other Words" contest, which is decided by popular vote. The first time I won Second Place and the second time I also won Second Place. I was beginning to feel like the proverbial bride's maid when I did not win any awards two years ago. However, I won a huge gift basket with books. Yesterday, however, a wonderful thing happened: I won FIRST PLACE for my humorous essay entitled "Confessions of a Baseball Wife." What a wonderful ending to a great conference!

1 comment:

Heidi Ruby Miller said...

Congratulations, Doris!

The conference was incredible. I'm still feeling good.

:) Heidi