Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Nose Art




During this time of year, I usually photograph birds. Yesterday, however, I had an opportunity to photograph some pretty big birds.


A few months ago, I learned that the artist who paints nose art on military planes at the 171 Air Refueling Wing lives in the next town. I thought it would make a good article for Pennsylvania Magazine and queried the editor after securing approval from the military. Last week, I got the go-ahead and was informed that a plane would be in yesterday for one day only. So Donna, the artist, had to paint the motive, the Duel 'n Fueler, in one day.
I went out to the base to take some photos while she was painting. But the story doesn't end here. I was actually chauffeured to the flight line where I was able to photograph each of Donna's designs that was on the ground. Her nose art is truly awesome. There were a total of seven planes available: the Spirit of Pittsburgh, the Falcons Spirit, Freedom will Endure, the Patriot, the Allegheny Warrior (my personal favorite), the Steel Phantom, and Pittsburgh Simply the Best. It was better than an airshow and everybody was super nice to me.
All this happened because I was networking with my fellow Pennwriters. I can't wait to write the article that will accompany my photos, but I guess I'll have to postpone the writing until next week since I'm getting ready to attend the Pennwriters conference from Friday till Sunday.
My photography has taken me places I would have never dreamed of going: a day sail aboard the Flagship Niagara, a museum for automated musical instruments, Old Economy and now this. What's next?

No comments: