Friday, June 01, 2007

Spring, Where Art Thou?

I have recovered from the Pennwriters Conference and am now trying to digest all the information I gathered there. The workshops were all wonderful and my only beef is that I could only attend one at a time. There were occasions when I could have joined all three that were going on at the same time. I recognized more faces than I had two years ago and enjoyed networking with everybody I had contact with. Now it is time to sit back at my desk and apply what I've learned.
The weather is clearly encouraging me to write since it is too hot to spend much time outdoors. We seem to have moved from winter to summer in about two days. Last week, I ventured out to Beechwood Farms despite the rather warm temperatures. While I did not take any great photos, I did see a Pileated Woodpecker, a Blue Heron, a Catbird, and many Canada Geese and their goslings. My goal was to photograph the Baltimore Orioles that frequent the feeder but I have not succeeded yet. There is always next time.
On Memorial Day, my husband and I ventured out to the wetland trail at Raccoon Creek Park. On several occasions, it deserved its name and we got muddy shoes. However, we did see many Catbirds, an Eastern Towhee, a Blue Heron, a Baltimore Oriole, and plenty of Red-winged Blackbirds. The sound of bullfrogs filled the air, but we never caught a glimpse of one. What we did catch were mosquito bites and I'm still suffering the consequences. Still, it was nice to get out before we had to disappear into the house like vampires. Aah, summer in Pennsylvania!

No comments: