Monday, October 13, 2008

A Trip to Moraine

On Saturday, we took advantage of the great weather to go leaf peeping at Moraine State Park. The leaves looked even worse than at home and I did not even unpack my camera. Even the little cove where I took gorgeous shots last year looked different. The low water level showed so many dead trees sticking out of the water that it looked almost depressing. We picked up a map of the park and scouted out a waterfowl observation deck. It was a beautiful deck with a view on almost 50 Canada geese, three blue herons, and several coots. A birder told us that in three to four weeks there should be plenty of migrating birds there. We vowed to return.
My knee is still hurting, and so it is probably a good thing that we're not having much of a fall. Otherwise, I would be upset that I was missing something.
At home, our hillside is getting pretty bare already with many trees just dropping their leaves. Yesterday, my husband spotted the first white-throated sparrow. Can the juncos be far behind? If we needed another sign that winter is looming ahead, this was it.

No comments: