Monday, May 17, 2010

Confession

I admit that I became a reluctant cat owner. When my husband insisted that he wanted a cat I was not enthused. I thought about the hair that would surely accumulate on our furniture and, most likely, on our bed. I had never owned a pet and didn't know what to expect. Eventually, I relented and we adopted "Chubby." She is a timid tiger tubby and, to this day, afraid of everything. She does not like people and is happy when no one comes by. A year later, we adopted Roxy as a companion for "Chubby." What we got was a companion for ourselves.
The first three months were tough. Roxy chewed on the furniture so much that even repellent didn't work. Finally, she broke that habit, but we kept covers on quite a few pieces of furniture ever since. I wasn't even sure if we should keep Roxy, but I'm glad we did. She was very friendly and well-liked by everyone who stopped by. As she filled out in weight she became very pretty. Whenever we came home she ran to the door to greet us. And when I went out of town she moped through the house looking for me.
The house is very quiet now. I miss her quiet presence and even miss having to prepare her special diet. It doesn't hurt as much as last week, but I will never forget our sweet Roxy.

No comments: