Thursday, August 21, 2008

Canceled Plans

It is one of life's mysteries that the farther ahead you plan something, the less likely it is going to actually happen. I had signed up for a photography workshop six months ago in the hopes that it would give me a chance to improve my bird approaching skills and increase my stock photo list.
Because my bum knee is still giving me trouble, I was about to call the instructor and cancel the workshop when I received an e-mail and phone call from him. The township where the workshop was supposed to take place on Lake Erie is staging a D-Day reenactment this weekend. Because this will involve cannon fire, machine gun fire, and noisy crowds - all of which are probably going to chase birds away - he offered a refund on my deposit and I accepted. After all, if I were a bird that had just crossed a huge lake, I would want some peace and quiet instead of being greeted by cannons. Under the circumstances, I got off with the least financial damage--having only lost my deposit on my lodgings. Perhaps my husband and I can check out the lcoation by ourselves. Right now, I just can't plan anything. At least the weather is nice enough so that I can sit in our backyard.
Our little butterfly garden has assumed its late summer look. The purple coneflowers are wilting, but the black-eyed Susans are still putting on a show, even if they're drooping. The New England Asters are getting ready to bloom soon. The hummingbirds are visiting our feeder more and more often, stocking up for their big trip south. I actually spotted one checking out the flowers in our little garden. Isn't this what they are supposed to eat, flower nectar? Ours seem to prefer the fast food of our syrup feeder.

No comments: