Monday, August 04, 2008

A great Sundae


The past weekend was pretty much perfect, for August. We had a break from the humidity of last week and the temperature was bearable. I put my new tripod to work photographing the black-eyed Susans in our butterfly garden. Nothing says summer like a group of yellow flowers buzzing with insects. We also saw a monarch, but it didn't stick around for me to photograph it.
Yesterday, we visited relatives and we all headed to Klavon's Ice Cream Parlor. It was a really great experience. I had never seen an old-fashioned drugstore before (I'm not counting new restaurants with phony interiors) and had a good time inspecting it. I tasted a strawberry sundae and a peppermint phosphate. I wanted to buy a bottle of the syrup, but my favorite flavors were not available. Perhaps next time, if there is a next time.
This morning, I headed to the National Aviary to photograph some newly hatched flamingo chicks. As I pulled up in the parking lot, I saw a van from a local TV station parked there. Apparently they had the same idea I had and were already filming the chicks when I approached. I quickly fired off frame after frame and soon they were put back into their crate again to get their breakfast. The whole experience lasted less than 10 minutes, but I got a couple of great shots to include in my article. And I was glad that I arrived a little early...

No comments: