Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Odds and Ends


Last Friday, my husband spotted a weird creature at the edge of our property--meaning the neighbor's wall. We whipped out our cameras to photograph what turned out to be a Dogday Harvestfly just emerging from its nymph skin. That's a fancy name for a cicada. We fired off some photos before the cicada left the skin and crouched on top of it. Its green wings were transparent and looked pretty cool. The whole process didn't take very long and so we were happy to witness another first for us. Amazing what adventures await us in our own backyard. We are not so happy about the groundhog that seems to fatten itself up in our butterfly garden.
Our cat Roxy is doing much better now. In fact, she ran outside on Saturday--something she hasn't done in years. Apparently, she felt very frisky, at least until the neighbor's dog spotted her...
I, however, am sidelined again by a persistent flare-up in my knee. Instead of playing around with my new tripod, I have to prop up my knee and wait for the swelling to subside. At least I was able to finish all my three writing assignments I worked on for most of the summer.

No comments: